Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Rose-Colored Panels

 Yesterday, just when I was thinking about painting, Jessica asked if I wanted to paint with her that night.  I really needed to, so we did.  She suggested a small oil pastel, which I thought was a perfect suggestion.  And we both chose rose gray primer.  I love my rose gray primer.

After coming up with the title, I couldn't get this song out of my head.  So I guess I had theme song.


Anyway, here is my primed panel!  Actually, it's an 8x10 matboard.


I didn't know what I was going to paint, but Fluffely wanted to keep me company.


I looked through references and thought I'd do a color study of one that has been waiting for me for a long time...I want to do this one a lot larger.  I didn't know if it would come out as anything recognizable in such a small format, but oh well.  Not the point. 

I start my oil pastels with a line sketch, usually using a pink, flesh, or yellow ochre.


Then, I lightly lay down some local color.  (Key word, lightly, just to get pigment onto the surface.)


I don't use solvent, so using my color shaper, I scrub that pastel out to thinly cover my surface.  Sometimes I work the pastel in pretty thoroughly, and sometimes I leave bits of the primer showing through, as you can especially see in the water here.


Then I just continue on in the same pattern.  Below I have lightly layered a bit more on the water.


And here it is blended out.


Some of the upper rock I was working on.


In the middle of working on the girl.  This is, of course, from a reference of my daughter Scarlett, though when she saw my painting she was confused because in the reference she was definitely not wearing this nor was she by the water.


Ultimately, though, Scarlett thought it was pretty cool.  She said she was a good witch enchanting the water.


1 comment:

stapeliad said...

Ohhhhh..... it came out so beautifully!
I love the good witch enchanting the water!!!!!!!!

Painting with you last night was really fun!! <3