Monday, April 6, 2015

Alleluia

I'm not Catholic, but I like to pray the breviary.  I don't do it as often as I'd like, but then I don't do anything as often as I'd like..

I like to pray it because it is beautiful, because I think it glorifies God so well, and most importantly because I strongly believe in the body of Christ and what God can do through us.  We need community; we need unity; we need each other and most of all, we need God.

This morning, in the breviary was a song we sang at church yesterday, and I love it.

Jesus Christ is ris’n today, Alleluia!
Our triumphant holy day, Alleluia!
Who did once upon the cross, Alleluia!
Suffer to redeem our loss. Alleluia!
 
Hymns of praise then let us sing, Alleluia!
Unto Christ, our heav’nly King, Alleluia!
Who endured the cross and grave, Alleluia!
Sinners to redeem and save. Alleluia!
 
But the pains which he endured, Alleluia!
Our salvation have procured; Alleluia!
Now he reigns above as King, Alleluia!
Where the angels ever sing. Alleluia!
 
Sing we to our God above, Alleluia!
Praise eternal as his love, Alleluia!
Praise him, all ye heav’nly host, Alleluia!
Father, Son, and Holy Ghost. Alleluia!

(Interestingly, the Catholic version of the song had a slightly different last verse; this one is the Protestant version.)

Here is part of the Psalmody:

Ant. 1 The splendor of Christ risen from the dead has shone on the people redeemed by his blood, alleluia.

Psalm 63: 2-9 --
A soul thirsting for God

Whoever has left the darkness of sin yearns for God.

O God, you are my God, for you I long;
for you my soul is thirsting.
My body pines for you
like a dry, weary land without water.
So I gaze on you in the sanctuary
to see your strength and your glory.

For your love is better than life,
my lips will speak your praise.
So I will bless you all my life,
in your name I will lift up my hands.
My soul shall be filled as with a banquet,
my mouth shall prise you with joy.

On my bed I remember you.
On you I muse through the night
for you have been my help;
in the shadow of your wings I rejoice.
My soul clings to you;
your right hand holds me fast.


Psalm Prayer

Father, creator of unfailing light, give that same light to those who call to you.  May our lips praise you; our lives proclaim your goodness; our work give you honor, and our voices celebrate you forever.

Ant.  The splendor of Christ risen from the dead has shone on the people redeemed by his blood, alleluia.

Ant. 2 Our Redeemer has risen from the tomb; let us sing a hymn of praise to the Lord our God, alleluia.

**